Subject: Re: Can't access
To: None <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/22/2001 11:16:21
In message <yam8603.867.141804400@maailma>, Arto Huusko writes:
>I can't access at all: this is what I get:
>$ ftp
>Trying 3ffe:8050:201:1860:2a0:c9ff:feed:b7ea...
>Connected to
>220 FTP server (NetBSD-ftpd 20010417) ready.
>Name ( ftp
>331 Guest login ok, type your name as password
>421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
>ftp: Login failed.
>I thought my firewall would be to blame (although FTP mostly works
>just fine), but I turned it off and that didn't help at all.
>Suggestions on how to fix this? Could the blame be the university's
Yes, and it most likely is.  I had that problem here twice, until I got
the systems folks to fix things.  Once, as I recall, it was a
configuration issue; the other time, it was a Checkpoint bug, I believe.

Unfortunately, I don't remember precisely what the problems were.  But
if your firewall folks can't solve it themselves, I can ask mine.

		--Steve Bellovin,