Subject: Re: DEC vt320 terminal problem
To: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/09/2001 19:05:42
On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 11:55:58AM -0400, Shannon wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 08:17:14AM -0400, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
>
> > I don't remember if I had it working on my old vt420 but I suspect I didn't
> > get it right. OTOH, my vt510's hardware flow control is a thing of beauty.
> > It runs at 38400bps and never drops a character. Those power surges that
> > took out my (in order) vt420 and vt220 might have been the best thing to
> > ever happen to me terminal-wise.
>
> I just got a DEC vt510 delivered today, and hooked it up to my SS5,
> replacing the vt320.  This is definitely a big improvement, and I can
> use a PC keyboard on top of it.

But can you get into setup with a PC keyboard? I couldn't figure out how,
so I threw on an LK450-AA I got from a local junk store. F3 gets me into
setup.

> However, I still get the same problems within shells even with DSR and xon/off
> flow control, and limits on character transmit.  This is really frustrating.

And you are using a properly wired null modem? Then again, I'm not sure
how this would matter since:

> I guess this must be an issue with NetBSD-sparc's serial ports, because
> it seems fine on an Intel machine.  It would help a great deal if the
> shells would issue a simple linefeed/carriage return instead of just
> running the cursor to EOL and depending on autowrap.

Ick.

> What kind of machine are you running? If you have a sparc and your 510
> works, I'd be interested in your configuration details, because while
> this terminal is a little better, most of the shell problem is still
> there.

Sorry, AlphaStation 200 (233 MHz).

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.