Subject: Re: Are PS/2 keyboards always auto-detected, even if not plugged in?
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Anthony Mallet <mallet@laas.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/04/2001 00:50:56
wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net wrote :

| > I was wondering why my PS/2 keyboard is always auto-detected (i386,
| > 1.5.1), even when it is not present ?
|
| yes. there is no checking if keyboard is actually present. i don't think
| it's even possible.

Since command failures sent to the keyboard when it is not present are
detected, it is possible.
Even PC BIOSes can detect if a keyboard is actually there (the famous
"keyboard not found, press any key to continue" message)

| but you still could plug PS/2 keyboard while system is working
|
| try removing pckbd from your kernel config.

My idea was to keep both drivers (usb and isa) to be able to use one or
the other with the same kernel. A kind of "GENERIC" kernel from keyboard
point of view.