Subject: Re: ipf's future
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/29/2001 07:19:51
On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 12:49:27AM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:

 > So my suggestion continues to be: make nice with the pf bunch. There's
 > no way ipf can stay in the NetBSD source code tree. Not without deep
 > sixing the project's goals. Why dance around the obvious? Let's get on
 > with it...

Mr. Bernstein, I have to say that you are simply totally clueless.

You have no knowledge of the discussions that have been going on w/
Darren.  You have no idea what the results have been.  You also have
an obvious alterior motive.  Therefore, your statement has zero credibility.

The OpenBSD notion of "cooperation", in my experience, has been "My way,
or the highway."  This is the primary reason I chose to ignore requests
from a couple of OpenBSD developers to get my input on "a new packet
filter" (I have been developing one on the side for a while, but have
not yet released the code).

On the other hand, the NetBSD Project cooperated *for real* with the
author of IP Filter, and there are positive results from this.

As for feeling sorry for Darren, I don't think that's really necessary.
After all, The0 is the one who is making himself and those who associate
with him look like idiots.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>