Subject: Re: ipf's future
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/29/2001 16:18:24
On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 12:49:27AM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> Clearly, it's not a stretch to conclude that the time for private,
> behind the scenes negotiations with Mr. Reed has probably run out. If
> they haven't succeeded by now, it's doubtful they ever will. If they
> have succeeded, then why has that fact not been communicated to the
> community of NetBSD users? As has been pointed out, there is no
> evident change in the source code.

That's not at all what happened, really. Darren was very cooperative,
and we agreed to a document specifying that ipfilter could be used
and modified inside NetBSD in whichever way we or any other 3rd
party wanted. However, we didn't want to announce that until we
actually had the signed document in hand, which, for dumb practical
reasons, took a while.

Meanwhile, Darren has decided to change the licence to say
"with or without modification" (see the latest ipfilter 3.4.19
sources), so the whole point has become moot.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD CDs, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/