Subject: Re: no buffer space available
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/24/2001 17:51:34
[ On Sunday, June 24, 2001 at 14:46:21 (-0500), emre@vsrc.uab.edu wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: no buffer space available
>
> I havent been really paying attention to this thread, but
> maybe increasing the value of kern.mbuf.nmbclusters with sysctl -w might
> fix the problem.  Or you might want to recompile your kernel with a higher
> value for NMBCLUSTERS.

The last time my router "froze" up with this very similar problem
'netstat -m' only showed about "12% in use), and it indicated that
there'd never been any requests for memory denied or delayed.

There's considerably less in use now, but there hasn't been a reboot in
the mean time:

	$ netstat -m
	2 mbufs in use:
	        1 mbufs allocated to data
	        1 mbufs allocated to packet headers
	0/14 mapped pages in use
	100 Kbytes allocated to network (0% in use)
	0 requests for memory denied
	0 requests for memory delayed
	0 calls to protocol drain routines

Is the netstat memory accounting broken?

Neither my cable modem nor DSL links were conjested at the time either
(though IIRC I was listening to an _incoming_ 128kbit MP3 stream shortly
before that).

The interface that was stuck was actually the LAN too, not either of the
ethernets to the DSL/cable modems.  It's half-duplex, but on a switched
segment and the collision rate is less than one percent.

--
							Greg A. Woods