Subject: Re: Installing on notebook without a floppy nor CD-ROM?
To: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/18/2001 23:42:37
> IBM Canada is currently offering a good deal on a tiny notepad,
> the X20 11U.  They come pre-installed with Win98, but have neither
> a floppy nor CD-ROM. Seeing as I would really only need them to
> install NetBSD, I wondered if anybody had any tips on doing a network
> install from Windows/DOS. Is it possible?

It's easy:

Use Win98 to transfer a boot kernel with ramdisk immage (i.e. nearly the same
thing as the two bootfloppy images we now use for floppy based installs) and
transfer it to your local disk. Fetch "dosboot.com" as well. Reboot, hit F8
at the right moment, goto "save mode, command line only w/o network" and
use dosboot to boot the install kernel.

Martin