Subject: Re: DEC vt320 terminal problem
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/16/2001 22:41:30
On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 07:12:40PM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > Interesting that you have so many differences from mine. Did you
> > do anything to change your stty settings or mess with the terminal
> > definition in /etc/gettytab?
>
> I included the custom gettytab in my last message. However, I'm only

Sorry, I did miss that.

> turning on software hand-shaking in gettytab, then setting the
> terminal type to vt420, so it really shouldn't be that different. I
> especially wonder why you have "icanon" and "opost" turned off, since
> I thought all terminals would need that.

You would think the kernel and OS setup would default to that.

I have done _nothing_ to my setup. It's pure default. I am running a
SPARCstation 5, and I set the tty to 19200,N,8,1, and basically did
nothing but edit /etc/ttys to enable the terminal with vt320 as the type
and make it secure.

I wish I had my log book from an earlier problem like this. This
terminal has always worked well with DEC UNIX, Linux, FreeBSD, SunOS,
and on PC, Sun, and DEC hardware.

I finally relented and turned on autowrap in the terminal setup, but that
still misses a newline.  Here's an example of what my screen looks like:

escape:/home/shannon
z15 %
escape:/home/shannon
215 %

Note the 'z' that overwrote part of the line, and the fact that the command
number looks repeated except for that.  Also, there should be a blank line
between the two prompts.  If I turn off autowrap in the terminal, all 3
lines of the prompt are displayed over top of the previous one.

--
"Star Wars Moral Number 17: Teddy bears are dangerous in herds."