Subject: Re: ctrl+alt+del
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/14/2001 00:46:51
[ On Thursday, June 14, 2001 at 11:57:23 (+0900), Takahiro Kambe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: ctrl+alt+del
>
> Then, ctrl+alt+del cause:
>
> 0. Do nothing.
> 1. Invoke DDB.
> 2. Gracefully shutdown halt the system without relying userland
>    process at all.
> 3. Gracefully shutdown reboot the system without relying userland
>    process at all.
>
> Those scheme should be select by sysctl(8) at least.

All of these are trivial to achieve with my proposal.  DDB already
includes all of the necessary code and the wskbd hooks to it already
exist, including flexible keyboard mapping.  It's just a matter of
disabling the unwanted DDB functions when full DDB is not appropriate.
Whether the latter is done by just a compile-time option or also by
another sysctl is really all that remains to discuss.

The X11 prompter is an X11 server issue only (since it *is* a user-land
process) and such a tool can be trivially done with a speciall hook in
the X server similar to the existing server shutdown hook, and either
with a direct call to shutdown/halt/reboot or a call through a setuid
wrapper if your X server doesn't already run as root.  Note that wskbd
does not have full control of the keyboard when X11 is in control.  You
either have to switch to the console or a virtual console tty if you
want the DDB hook to be used.  Note that if you can't switch vt's then
you can't safely reboot either and it's time for a reset or "B.R.S."

--
							Greg A. Woods