Subject: Re: ctrl+alt+del
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/14/2001 11:57:23
In message <200106140128.f5E1SKo05500@night-porter.duskware.de>
	on Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:28:19 +0200 (MEST),
	Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:
> Just to make it clear (again): there are different needs expressed in
> this thread.
>
> They range from "Ctrl+Alt+Del should invoke DDB" via "Ctrl+Alt+Del needs to
> force a gratious sync, unmount and reboot without relying on any userland
> processes" to my position: I want "Ctrl+Alt+Del" to invoke a X base prompter,
> if I'm in X, asking the user if he wants to reboot, shutdown, logout or abort.
Then, ctrl+alt+del cause:

0. Do nothing.
1. Invoke DDB.
2. Gracefully shutdown halt the system without relying userland
   process at all.
3. Gracefully shutdown reboot the system without relying userland
   process at all.

Those scheme should be select by sysctl(8) at least.

> They all should be optional, configurable and not bound to Ctrl+Alt+Del.
Of course.

> There is not gonna be a consensus about "the right way" here. Don't try to
> reach one, it's impossible. Options are the way to go, and I not even care
> about the default.
Yes, I agree.  I don't want to say "Just one scheme is enough", but
just say "Invoking DDB isn't enough."

Cheers.

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>