Subject: Re: How to install Xfree4.1
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/14/2001 03:11:28
> moving /usr/X11R6 to something else is enough. don't need to deinstall
> every package that needs X.

What he says. Upgrading is easy, downgrading is fun ;-)

What I did is: mv /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6_old; cd /usr/xsrc; make
Moving old stuff out of the way was just to make sure no wrong headers get
used - but that's probably not needed at all.

Then I moved /usr/X11R6 back and did "make install".

Worked great. Needed a new /etc/XF86Config file, but that was easy to create
with xf86config.

You probably want to recompile every package that uses gl* libs (i.e. Mesa)
or xpm (both are included in X11R6 4.1). But not doing so does no real harm.

pkg_info is your friend, create a list of those packages using it and do
"make update" there.

Martin