Subject: Re: maxusers
To: Julio Merino <>
From: Rick Kelly <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2001 20:13:52
Julio Merino said:
>On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 08:54:33PM +0200, wrote:
>> what exactly is the effect of maxusers value in kernel config.
>> and why with maxusers > 64 i have a warning that something > 64
>> couldn't i support more than 64 users?
>If I don't mistake, that is an approximate value of how many users you
>will have concurrently running. The kernel reserves space on bootup for
>that 64 users, but you can run more than those then. The kernel will
>grow the table dinamically when needed.
>BTW each user run, each xterm, each telnet, etc takes one entry in
>that table.

There is a good question here. In NetBSD/i386 1.3 and 1.3.2 I could set
MAXUSERS to 128 on this machine that I'm typing on. When I upgraded to
NetBSD/i386 1.4 it had the >64MB warning.

My inclination has always been to set MAXUSERS to a number equal to the
megabytes of memory in the machine.

I have never seen an answer to this.
Rick Kelly