Subject: Re: ctrl+alt+del
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2001 14:30:03
In message <200106100425.f5A4PW712988@lager.beer.org>, you write:
> Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>wrote:
>> Except that the typical kind of dumbass, who happens to always be the
>> only one near the machine requiring a reboot, never heard of a kernel
>> debugger and only knows the magic keystrokes from dos/windoze/lignux/
>> freebsd, or, in case that fails, hits the power switch, which will
>> result in a lengthy, and not always successful fsck on boot.
>
> You shouldn't be letting typical dumbasses near your machines
> unless they have you on the other end of the phone.  Or buy a
> remote management card of some sort.

How about this scenario:

I colocate my NetBSD box at an ISP across town.  A little shop,
staffed by the two guys that own the place, rather clueful types,
but I still don't want to give them my root password.

I type a command, goof a route, a net setting, or whatever, knocking
my box off the net.  Do I want to tell my boss that my personal
box is offline and I need to drive 20 mins to the ISP to reboot
the box and 20 mins back?  Do I want to tell the guys at the ISP
to just hit the power button and hope the fsck's pass?  Or would
I rather they hit C-A-D (or some other key sequence) and let the
box do something more graceful?

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org