Subject: Re: ctrl+alt+del
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/09/2001 22:25:31
Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>  wrote:
 > Except that the typical kind of dumbass, who happens to always be the
 > only one near the machine requiring a reboot, never heard of a kernel
 > debugger and only knows the magic keystrokes from dos/windoze/lignux/
 > freebsd, or, in case that fails, hits the power switch, which will
 > result in a lengthy, and not always successful fsck on boot.

You shouldn't be letting typical dumbasses near your machines
unless they have you on the other end of the phone.  Or buy a
remote management card of some sort.

 > I in fact don't see any reason why there shouldn't be a keyboard
 > shortcut like this to reboot from PC keyboard console, in fact up

How 'bout "because most people now think 'ctrl-alt-del' is how you
log in."

 > to this discussion, I wasn't even aware that NetBSD actually _didn't_
 > sync+reboot on ctrl+alt+del.  Like it or not, I figure it's kinda
 > the expected standard on PCish hardware.

The expected standard on PCish hardware is having to reboot it every
week.  NetBSD doesn't strive to that either.