Subject: Re: ctrl+alt+del
To: David Maxwell , Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
From: Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/09/2001 21:09:31
On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 02:35:15PM -0400, David Maxwell wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 06:37:47PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
>
> Some NetBSD platforms don't have all three of those keys ;-)

Oh, that's true! ;)

> On i386 - No, though there have been discussions on mailing lists about
> this, with mixed opinions about whether it would be a useful thing, bad
> thing, security benefit or security hazzard.
>
> Here's one such thread:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2000/01/
> Re: reboot via control-alt-delete?

Ok, I've readed the entire thread and I don't find any reason about why
ctrl+alt+delete shouldn't be an option (i.e. with sysctl o a kernel
configuration option) to shutdown the computer.

At last, I have decided to install NetBSD in my gateway. That computer
does not have a screen, but it has a keyboard. The gateway has to be
closed at night so, it has to be shutted down properly... The
problem is that, if all other network computers are closed, there is no
easy way to shutdown the system (i.e. no telnet or nothing). That is
why I want those keys to allow the system to shutdown.

Any other idea?

Thanks.