Subject: Re: Choice for a gateway
To: Julio Merino <>
From: David Maxwell <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/06/2001 14:48:28
On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 09:32:39PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> Hi all,

> I currently have Debian GNU/Linux in my home gateway. It is a
> Pentium 60 with 32 mb of ram and two hard disks, one of 500 mb
> and the second one of 125.
> Now, that I've get used to *bsds in general I want to change
> Debian for one of them :)
> But, what do you suggest me to install to that computer?
> NetBSD or FreeBSD? (no comments about OpenBSD...)
> Which one will work faster? (this is the main thing I want to
> know and good reasons please).

Faster will depend entirely on what you run on the machine. Each OS is
better/worse in different areas, and the taskload is unpredictable,

Overall, I bet that in a "blind shell test" (think Pepsi challenge),
very few people (no one?) could distinguish which BSD they were on by
speed of response. (but output formats/content would give things away
for those in the know.)

You know which list you asked on though, so you know what response to
expect ;-)

David Maxwell,| -->
(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods