Subject: Re: NetBSD performance
To: Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/02/2001 11:25:45
> BTW, somebody told me that NetBSD is faster in older computers but it is
> wasteful on resources on better machines... Is that true?

No, it's not true.

Running on a variety of machines makes certain changes noticed which
would otherwise be missed. A 'bad' change which slows booting by 1
second on i386 might stand out as a 30 second slowdown on sun3...

Now, it may be true that NetBSD doesn't use all of the optimizations
that are available on every platform - in that case, feel free to
contribute suggestions of where improvements can be made.

> > login is slow???
> > could you be more exact? logging in takes about a second or less on my
> > machine and little longer with old slow disk.
>
> I've noticed that when I log out, it takes about one second to show the
> NetBSD greeting like linux. FreeBSD is just instantaneous. I solved this
> in debian replacing agetty with mingetty which worked faster, but, what
> makes NetBSD a bit slower that the other?
>
> The same happens after entering the first login name... it takes about
> a second (or less) to show the Password: string, but then it works fast.

It sounds like getty may have been swapped out, in order to free up RAM
for another task. Check how much RAM you have, (16?) and look at the
'Capacity' column in the output of 'pstat -s' to see how much swap is
being used.

When you exit, and getty wakes up, it would be swapped in, and depending
on the speed of your disks, that could take a second (or more).

								David