Subject: Re: NetBSD performance
To: None <wojtek@3miasto.net>
From: Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/02/2001 16:34:38
On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 10:38:49AM +0200, wojtek@3miasto.net wrote:

> > I'm trying NetBSD and I see that some things are slower than in NetBSD,
>                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> of course. others are slower ;)

BTW, somebody told me that NetBSD is faster in older computers but it is
wasteful on resources on better machines... Is that true?

> login is slow???
> could you be more exact? logging in takes about a second or less on my
> machine and little longer with old slow disk.

I've noticed that when I log out, it takes about one second to show the
NetBSD greeting like linux. FreeBSD is just instantaneous. I solved this
in debian replacing agetty with mingetty which worked faster, but, what
makes NetBSD a bit slower that the other?

The same happens after entering the first login name... it takes about
a second (or less) to show the Password: string, but then it works fast.

Thanks.