Subject: Strange or unclear open source licenses in NetBSD tree
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/30/2001 11:51:05
I started looking at a variety of licenses (around 100 looked at so
far) on my NetBSD system.

Here are some license that may be incompatible with the goal of using
in whatever manner:

/usr/src/lib/libc/rpc/DISCLAIMER
Users may copy or modify Sun RPC without charge, but are not authorized to
license or distribute it to anyone else except as part of a product or
program developed by the user.

/usr/src/usr.bin/vi/LICENSE
It may be freely redistributed under the following conditions, until one
year after the release of any subsequent version of this software, at
which point it may no longer be redistributed without written permission
from Keith Bostic.

These sure seem strange or confusing. Any comments on either of the above?

Also, if I understand correctly, the /usr/src/dist directory contains
code that has other incompatible licenses or is maintained by others.

I found these licenses to be a little strange, but it is probably
irrelevant:

/usr/src/dist/bind/LICENSE_RSA
The DNSsafe software cannot be used or distributed separately from the
BIND software.  You only have the right to use it or distribute it as a
bundled, integrated product.

/usr/src/dist/ipf/perl/LICENSE
Permission has been granted for their redistribution within this package.

(What about other redistribution?)

I also found one other substantial code with a license similar to Darren
Reed's "use" license. I already contacted the author and I am waiting for
his company's PR department to respond. (I am writing an article about
that includes that.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/