Subject: Re: SCSI disk and controllers
To: None <wojtek@3miasto.net>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/23/2001 23:54:08
On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 02:41:44PM +0200, wojtek@3miasto.net wrote:

> try to use chattr and nodump flag often. i think more than 80% of your
> drive data isn't as important to do backup or is temporary. i have 20GB
> drive and DDS-2 tape and could fit level 0 dump (with -h 0!!!) on one 4GB
> tape and many higher level on another.

I do set nodump on the non-important stuff, but most of the data I
have, I really do want to keep.

I have some large databases, lot's of my CDs encoded (it just takes
time I rather not eat again), source code, text files, and images I've
collected over the years.

My critical /home files, /etc, mail, and sources will fit in a CD, and I
use cddump for that. Then I have level 0 dumps on tape and then slowly
do something close to the hanoi sequence for a few months.

For the really cumbersome stuff, I do one big multi-CD/tape backup and
after that never do a level 0 again, just the new stuff.

If I could just get 10GB per tape instead of 4, it would help a bunch.

I was hoping the Onstream stuff would be nice, but it doesn't look that
way.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist