Subject: Re: SCSI disk and controllers
To: None <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: None <wojtek@3miasto.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/23/2001 14:41:44

> > With my home systems (2, about 54GB total) there isn't a backup method
> > under $2000 (if not more) that can handle it easily, $700 or so for
> > one that would be OK. I just cross my fingers a lot, and backup the
> > most important stuff regularly, and the other stuff I either do
> > slowly, or not at all.

try to use chattr and nodump flag often. i think more than 80% of your
drive data isn't as important to do backup or is temporary. i have 20GB
drive and DDS-2 tape and could fit level 0 dump (with -h 0!!!) on one 4GB
tape and many higher level on another.

> Compared to the harddrive prices I think we shall be forced to buy
> multiple harddrives for backups.

maxtor drives has now lowest price/GB.

BTW. is there anything like scsictl scan for IDE? IDE hotswapping is nice.