Subject: Re: SCSI disk and controllers
To: Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/22/2001 21:43:01
Shannon Hendrix said:

>Right now 4GB 4mm is all I can afford and it's a struggle to just backup
>my personal workstation.
>
>Even if I got one of the $700 or so tape drives that does have the
>capacity, the media prices are very high.

Exabyte has done a big disservice to small computers networks with
moderate amounts of diskspace.

I have 2 Exabyte 8700LT 8mm drives (8500 in disguise), and I can squeeze
10 gigs per tape on these. And the tapes are about $6. But exabyte doesn't
make these any more, just the Mammoth drives with $100 tapes. That's 4 times
the capacity of my drives at almost 17 times the price for media.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com