Subject: Re: Sendmail removal
To: Jack Morgan <jack@tlug.gr.jp>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/22/2001 10:50:24
Jack Morgan writes:

>I'm new to NetBSD. If I remove all files for sendmail
>is it going to cause any problems? I would like to use
>Exim or postfix.

Postfix already ships in-base with NetBSD (although a somewhat
older version, that is).  Just adapt /etc/mailer.conf to point
to the postfix executables, like:

sendmail        /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail
send-mail       /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail
mailq           /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail
newaliases      /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail
hoststat        /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail
purgestat       /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail

(Some programs like hoststat are not emulated by the postfix sendmail
but doesn't matter.)
There's no need to remove sendmail, unless you loathe it personally
and want to get rid off it from your platters (but then it'll probably
get reinstalled with the next system rebuild anyways.)

--mkb