Subject: Re: shutdown over ssh
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Ammermueller <martin81@bnro.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2001 12:08:03
On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 11:05:31AM +0200, Martin Ammermueller wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> I've a problem:
>
> 	When I do a "shutdown -r now" via a local
> 	terminal the system shuts down and reboots
> 	just perfect.
>
> 	When I do a "shutdown -r now" via a remote
> 	ssh login the system says:
>
> 	$date $hostname shutdown: reboot by root:
> 	[after a few seconds]
> 	syncing disks... 1 done
>
> 	And then stands there forever.
>
> Does anyone know what I've forgotten to set or how
> I can debug this?
> P.S.: I connect to the remote machine via a serial cable.
>       This doesn't work with telnet too.

Addition: This only happens when I execute "shutdown -r now"
from within the ksh. With csh and sh this is no problem.

Another strange behaviour of ksh:
When I execute "shutdown -r now" from a local terminal from
within the ksh, the ksh returns¹ to the controlling terminal
between "$date $hostname syslogd: exiting on signal 15" and
"syncing disks". Is this a bug?

snafu
Martin
P.S.: Means it gives me shellprompt again in which i can execute
      commands(!).
--
victory for hemp!