Subject: Re: SCSI disk and controllers
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2001 10:24:25
Hi,

actually I use 2940UW controllers on x86 and builtin SCSI on other
platforms.

Until now I have had no problems using LVD drives with these
controllers, as long as I keep to the used standards (so if you run
an LVD drive an a UW controller, cable length and such must be
conform to the UW standard not LVD).

There are working (at least for me) adapters to connect LVD/UW
drives to 50 Pin 8Bit cabling and 80Pin SCA cabling and vice versa.
(allthough I have not tested all possible combinations)

There are 4.5 and 9GB drives around, they cost only marginally less
than 18GB drives so there is no real market (here in Austia 9 GB
cost about USD 250,-- when 18GB are USD 290,-- for IBM drives).

As for qlogic controllers you should contact qlogic at their
homepage for resellers. You might also try
"http://www.mountaintopcomputers.com/scsi_controllers.htm".

HTH

mike