Subject: Re: SCSI disk and controllers
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2001 14:31:08
    Date:        Sat, 19 May 2001 21:46:17 -0600 (MDT)
    From:        Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>

  | For sparc, 50 pin and SCA are the supported drives, but try to find 4
  | or 9 gig drives anymore.

It is getting hard to find (new) small drives, that's for sure.

  | For i386, the only Ultra SCSI drive left out there seems to be the
  | Seagate 18 gig. The only LVD controller supported by NetBSD seems to
  | be Qlogic, but an hour spent searching google doesn't seem to turn
  | up anyone that actually sells Qlogic controllers.

The Adaptec works (but isn't cheap).  There are others I have seen
mentioned on the lists as well.

But you seem to be assuming that an LVD drive won't simply plug in and work
on an old controller.   Not true - you won't get the LVD advantages of
course (long cable length, high transfer speed) but LVD drives will work
on anything except the (old style) differential controllers - you just
need the right kind of cable, or cable adaptor, to run between your
controller and the drive.

That's why all the old interface types are vanishing - it is just as
cheap (well, almost as cheap) for the manufacturer to stick an LVD
interface on the drive - and then they get access to the users who want
that interface, and yet the drive works with just about every other
scsi bus on the planet.

kre