Subject: Re: SCSI disk and controllers
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2001 01:28:24
[ On Saturday, May 19, 2001 at 21:46:17 (-0600), Rick Kelly wrote: ]
> Subject: SCSI disk and controllers
>

> For sparc, 50 pin and SCA are the supported drives, but try to find 4
> or 9 gig drives anymore.

There were just a bunch of lots of fast Seagate 5.25" drives on
www.onsale.com....  :-)

I can still find narrow SE drives here in Toronto without too much
trouble, and they're finally down to a price that's not too outrageous.

Another place to check is www.compgeeks.com -- I've bought online from
them in the past with no trouble and they often have good deals on used
SCSI stuff.  They have a bunch of "brand new refurb" (whatever that
means) 9gb SCSI with 50-pin HD connector at $40[usa] right now.  They
also have used 9gb seagate Elite-9's at $27[usa], and various smaller
drives too.

> For i386, the only Ultra SCSI drive left out there seems to be the
> Seagate 18 gig. The only LVD controller supported by NetBSD seems to
> be Qlogic, but an hour spent searching google doesn't seem to turn
> up anyone that actually sells Qlogic controllers.

I don't have proof that Adaptec's PCI-based LVD controller works with
NetBSD, but I do know their 7899 chip integrated on various Asus and
Intel motherboards works just fine.  There was a bit of discussion about
this on some other list (current-users?) just the other day and I've a
client with three new Intel STL2-based machines running with Seagate
Cheetah LVD drives.

It would seem that at least recognition of the 7899 has been in the
driver since 15-Mar-00, and that was well before 1.5 was branched.

> I'm tempted to buy half a dozen Seagate 18 gig Ultra SCSI drives before
> it is too late...

I sure wouldn't do that -- I think drives are about due for another
price drop soon and I'll bet you'll find even more end-of-line units on
www.onsale.com in the future, not to mention many many more used units
as people upgrade to newer faster drives.

--
							Greg A. Woods