Subject: Re: man pages formatting
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/15/2001 04:12:42
Quoting Jeremy C. Reed (04-May-01 10:16:00):

> On 3 May 2001, Georges Heinesch wrote:

>> > BTW. catman doesn't work. no matter what option i use it does
>> > nothing. i do read manual
>>
>> Same here. I didn't manage to make it work either.

> I did some tests with catman.

> catman(8) uses /etc/man.conf. This is not documented in the manual
> page. catman first looks at the /etc/man.conf's _default setting.

How did you find out?

> Then if it contains "man/man",

Do you mean if the path defined in '_default' contains "man/man"?

> it continues on to scan the man
> directory. With the default _default
> (/usr/{share,X11R6,local,pkg}/man/) it never continues.

> I am not sure why it checks for "man/man".

No idea either ?!

> I made it only check for "man"; it then failed when it tried to
> opendir(/usr/{share,X11R6,local,pkg}/man/).

> So I changed _default to /usr/share/man/, then it does "mkdir
> /usr/share/man/cat".

here, nothing happened!

> I stopped debugging there ...

> Can anyone explain the issues I noticed above?

Nope. I checked several docs I have available. None had anything
regarding catman(8).

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei@geohei.lu