Subject: Re: FQDN
To: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
From: Pascal Cabaud <Pascal.Cabaud@wanadoo.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/12/2001 14:21:29
On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 08:52:02AM +0100, Georges Heinesch wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I use NetBSD on a local LAN (3 machines in total). Every night (by a
> daemon), I get the message that my hostname is not entered as FQDN,
> which is true.
>
> I dial up into the Internet to my provider, i.e. the system doesn't
> have a permanent connection.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Should I consider entering a domain into /etc/rc.conf?
> 2. If yes, what should I enter?
>    (My IP address changes during every dialup)

I don't understand... You have a LAN with 3 NetBSD boxes, right ?
How does your LAN work if you have not configured /etc/hosts and
/etc/rc.conf ? Before configure named(8), I had :

$ more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1      localhost
192.168.1.2    kabs.bertillon.fr       localhost       kabs
192.168.1.1    diablotin.bertillon.fr  diablotin       diab
192.168.1.3    meleze.bertillon.fr     meleze

$ more /etc/rc.conf | grep hostname
# Fully Qualified Internet Domain Name (a.k.a. hostname, e.g. foo.baz.edu)
hostname="mars.bertillon.fr"                            # if blank, use /etc/myname
# if there's only one way out of your network, set this to the hostname

$ more /etc/rc.conf | grep ifconfig
auto_ifconfig=YES                               # config all avail. interfaces

$ more /etc/ifconfig.sn0
inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00
(sn0 is the Ethernet interface of my boxes)

You should read the NetBSD Install Guide and the Networking-HOWTO
(see <http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/>). A good introduction
to IP is here : <http://www.3com.com/nsc/501302s.html>.

To answer to your questions, choose a domain name and some machine names.
You could choose your IPs for your boxes in :
10.0.0.0 with 24 address bits
172.16.0.0 with 20 address bits
192.168.0.0 with 16 address bits

pc