Subject: Re: pcmcia cards
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/09/2001 14:35:00
On Wed, 9 May 2001, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 04:37:47PM +0200, Gromb wrote:
> > if a pcmcia card is put in the slot, does any script start, or is any event
> > triggered ?

> Not yet, unfortunably. You could have a script running in background which
> watch the output of 'ifconfig -a'

But what if it isn't a network card (or something that is related to
ifconfig)?

I read that FreeBSD has a pccard daemon. But I don't see a pccard
daemon for NetBSD. The manual pages for pcmcia(4) and com(4) are brief.
I see two pcic kernel threads running -- does this mean it doesn't
need a pcmcia/pccard daemon? (And if so, where is this documented?)

I am interested in patching the pcic/pcmcia source so it logs whenever a
new pcmcia device is recognized, attached, or configured.

I am currently looking at sys/dev/cardbus and sys/dev/pcmcia. Can anyone
point me to the right direction or share any suggestions for implementing
this?

In addition, I'd like to make a userland tool to output information about
attached and/or configured pcmcia devices. Basically, it would probe the
bus/cards for this information. Does a tool like this already
exist? (Before pcmcia was implemented in the kernel, did userland routines
exist?)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/