Subject: Re: Support for internal modem?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/07/2001 03:00:51
Has NetBSD been behind in supporting internal hardware modems, so well supported
in Linux?  I was thinking largely in terms of PCI modems such as Actiontec that
have hardware controller (i.e. real modems, not Winmodems).  Supported hardware
page lists a lot of SCSI controllers, Ethernet cards, and other items, including
serial ports including 16550, but nothing specific regarding PCI/ISA.  What
would be the IRQ and COM address for a PCI modem, as opposed to ISA modem?

CPU of interest would most likely be i386, probably a newer AMD chip.  NetBSD
version would be 1.5, no sense using any earlier version, is there?

I wouldn't even have thought of asking the question about NetBSD support for
internal modems until an ASA Computers person said internal modem would not work
with NetBSD.