Subject: Re: man pages formatting
To: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/04/2001 02:16:00
On 3 May 2001, Georges Heinesch wrote:

> > BTW. catman doesn't work. no matter what option i use it does
> > nothing. i do read manual
>
> Same here. I didn't manage to make it work either.

I did some tests with catman.

catman(8) uses /etc/man.conf. This is not documented in the manual page.
catman first looks at the /etc/man.conf's _default setting.

Then if it contains "man/man", it continues on to scan the man directory.
With the default _default (/usr/{share,X11R6,local,pkg}/man/) it never
continues.

I am not sure why it checks for "man/man".

I made it only check for "man"; it then failed when it tried to
opendir(/usr/{share,X11R6,local,pkg}/man/).

So I changed _default to /usr/share/man/, then it does "mkdir
/usr/share/man/cat". I stopped debugging there ...

Can anyone explain the issues I noticed above?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/