Subject: Re: update pkgsrc package
To: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/02/2001 16:12:06
On 2 May 2001, Georges Heinesch wrote:

> What I meant was not to update pkgsrc itself, rather than a specific
> package of the pkgsrc tree (e.g. "x11/eterm").

This should work:
cvs checkout pkgsrc/x11/eterm

But, it may not be a good idea, since for the pkgsrc collection to really
work it should all be in sync. For example, the new x11/eterm package may
use newer mk/bsd.pkg.mk (for new pkgsrc rules or formatting) also.

> >> Suppose the just build package is outdated (there's a new version
> >> on the server). How shall I proceed without killing all it depends
> >> on and/or removing stuff so that I have to intervene manually after
> >> the update?

Look at the pkg_delete manual page. You could delete the package without
deleting the packages that depend on it; and then reinstall it. This is
probably not a good idea.

I may misunderstand your statement above. Can you show us some actual
example(s)?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/