Subject: Re: SCSI vs. IDE
To: Bri <simian@replic.net>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/29/2001 15:42:47
At 2:40 PM -0700 4/29/01, Bri wrote:
>  What makes you think that IDE itself has inherent corruption problems?

Old stories/myths. Five years ago (the last time I dealt with SCSI in
Unix), the story was "SCSI is faster and more reliable than IDE". I
know the "faster" part has gone away, but I don't know about the
"more reliable".

>  Your experiences would lead me to believe that you were working with
>faulty hardware. I've never experienced any sort of issues like that.

Others (off-list) have said they have seen similar things and thought
that it was the IDE controller saying it can do more than it really
can.

--Paul Hoffman