Subject: Re: upgrade without booting into installer
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Emre Yildirim <emre.yildirim@us.army.mil>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/29/2001 10:44:58
On Sunday 29 April 2001 05:30 US Central Time, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> You can do it this way. You have to take care of etc.tgz of course
> (backup you old /etc), and also of obsolete files (the list of
> obsolete files isn't available in a directly usable form
> unfortunably; you have to run src/distrib/sets/makeobsolete to
> generate it).

I extracted all distribution sets, except etc.tgz and moved
dhclient-script from my old /etc to /sbin (since I have to use dhcp
with this machine), and everything worked fine.

> The second option is to download the INSTALL kernel from
> binary/kernel (if it exixts for the snapshot) and boot it from
> disk. It's the same kernel as on floppies images, with the ramdisk.
> You'll end in sysinst just as if you booted from disk.

Didn't know that, maybe I should do that next time...
It would be nice if sushi could do upgrades of the system by
downloading the sets from the ftp, extracting them, installing them
etc.

Thanks for the help.