Subject: Re: Suggestion
To: Emre Yildirim <emre.yildirim@us.army.mil>
From: None <wojtek@3miasto.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/29/2001 16:48:03
> their good documentation.  That is good in a way, but with many users
> using the OS, it brings down the average intelligence level of the
> userbase.  What I'm probably trying to say is, if NetBSD gets to
> 'user friendly' it will probably turn into Redhat or FreeBSD and the

yes. and i wish it will never get!!!!!

> mailinglist will be full with newbies who don't read the
> documentation and/or want quick answers without doing any research.

yes. like todays linux mailinglists where people want better or cheaper
"windows replacement".

> Personally I think the man pages are sufficient for documentation.

compared to linux i found standard BSD manpages excellent.

> But more examples on certain expert stuff would be nice. Perhaps
> users could submit examples of complex setups to the NetBSD website
> maintainers or something... (I would really like to see how people
> are using IPsec with NetBSD).
>
> Cheers
>
> (PS: This is off topic, but is it just me or does NetBSD have less
> security related bugs than OpenBSD?  I went to both websites to check
> the patches for the latest releases, seems like OpenBSD has a bunch.
> That's pretty cool :-)

yes. but OpenBSD (as stated on their www page) have "no security holes in
default installation for 3 years".

netbsd too - as it does not run any daemons until configured to do that :)

that's good.