Subject: Re: Suggestion
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Adrien Dessemond <adrien.dessemond@softhome.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/29/2001 16:37:34
At 23:14 28/04/2001, you wrote:

>It seems like OpenBSD & FreeBSD are getting a lot of users because of
>their good documentation.  That is good in a way, but with many users
>using the OS, it brings down the average intelligence level of the
>userbase.  What I'm probably trying to say is, if NetBSD gets to

I think you are right, if someone need general documentation or
what I call a "yet another install and using shells book" there
are numbers of Linux HOW-TOs, paper books & other things like that.
Much users install Linux/BSD/etc and expect to see some MS-Windows
like. Of course many of them does not want to dive into important
technical aspects and read the documentation. How many hours did
I spent in installing, trashing, reinstalling, configuring my NetBSD box ?
Much without any help but the documentation. But I'm very glad to have
learned tons & usefuls tricks by myself (my previous expenrience under
FreeBSD/Linux helped me a lot).

*But* what is really missing in my humble opinion is a kernel
documentation explaning clearly general options and some good
explanations about things like writing kernel extensions like
device drivers (if hardware vendors could release their
full datasheets and not only some general device descriptions...
*sight*).

>But more examples on certain expert stuff would be nice. Perhaps

See one line above :-)

--
BOFH excuse : The kernel license has expired