Subject: Re: Suggestion
To: A.Z. <mertis@ameritech.net>
From: Emre Yildirim <emre.yildirim@us.army.mil>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/28/2001 17:14:02
On Saturday 28 April 2001 09:58 US Central Time, A.Z. wrote:
> Yeah,
> My point is the documentation on
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/ is "cold" and general, I have
> nothing against it., but, there is always but... I would like to
> see it more user friendly. I would like to see more specific
> examples. Take a look for example at
> http://www.defcon1.org/html/freebsd_help.html , I learned FreeBSD
> much more faster from their articles. But if I would start from
> Handbook on www.freebsd.org , it would take me about 2 or 3 times
> longer.  I think It would be nice to see something like that for
> NetBSD. Look at the things from eyes of someone new to NetBSD...
> It's just my oppinion, It would be much easier for me if I were new
> to NetBSD to see something more friendly.
> Thanks.

It seems like OpenBSD & FreeBSD are getting a lot of users because of
their good documentation.  That is good in a way, but with many users
using the OS, it brings down the average intelligence level of the
userbase.  What I'm probably trying to say is, if NetBSD gets to
'user friendly' it will probably turn into Redhat or FreeBSD and the
mailinglist will be full with newbies who don't read the
documentation and/or want quick answers without doing any research.
Personally I think the man pages are sufficient for documentation.
But more examples on certain expert stuff would be nice. Perhaps
users could submit examples of complex setups to the NetBSD website
maintainers or something... (I would really like to see how people
are using IPsec with NetBSD).

Cheers

(PS: This is off topic, but is it just me or does NetBSD have less
security related bugs than OpenBSD?  I went to both websites to check
the patches for the latest releases, seems like OpenBSD has a bunch.
That's pretty cool :-)