Subject: Re: Removing a file "-al"
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/2001 17:45:39
On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 10:39:51AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
>
> > Just about all command line Unix programs use getopt() for argument
> > parsing, so just about all command line Unix program will allow this
> > trick to work:
>
> This is described in the getopt manual page: "The special option ``--'' is
> used to delimit the end of the options."
>
> But it is not described in the rmdir manual page. I wonder if a note
> about this should be added to the rmdir manual page.

I don't think so. To be consistent you (somebody) would need to update
the man page of every program that used getopt(). That's a whole bunch
of man pages.

Chalk it up to "one of those things" and leave it in just the getopt
page.

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"