Subject: Re: pkgsrc question
To: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/22/2001 08:46:17
In addition to Chris's comment, I'd add a couple of further personal bits
of advice:

 * pkgsrc is fully capable of downloading the distfiles (that's all that
   ``make fetch-list | sh'' does) if it needs the files and they aren't
   present in the distfiles/ directory.  (There are reasons why you may
   want to do the fetching all at once.  But I thought that I'd point
   out that it's not strictly required by pkgsrc.  (^&  Life is simpler
   if you let pkgsrc fetch what it needs when it needs it.)

 * ``make'' (without an explicit target) causes the package to be built
   and installed, if not already present.

   ``make update'' is possibly more what you want: It will deinstall
   the package if it's already installed (it's for ``updating'' packages,
   after all), ensure that the package is built, install it, and then
   clean up the pkgsrc work/ directory.

   I generally ``make update'' because I sometimes _am_ updating an
   existing package, and because I prefer to have the pkgsrc work/
   directory removed after the package is installed.  Unless you want
   to read the source code to the package, there should be nothing of
   value in the work/ directory after the installation is complete.

   Also, once or twice I've had trouble updating a package if there
   were old versions of the package lying around in the work/ directory.
   pkgsrc thought that the work/ copy was the current version, and
   assumed that it didn't need to rebuild anything.

Have fun, and welcome to NetBSD.  (^&

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu