Subject: Re: last message repeated X times
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/20/2001 03:21:58
On 19.04.01, 22:35:07, Georges Heinesch wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Since yesterday, I get a weird message with my NetBSD 1.5 / amiga
> system. It says ...
>
>     last message repeated X times
>
> X can be anything between 2 and 25 (seen values). No scheme is
> detectable when the error appears. However I believe it happens most
> when compiling out of the pkgsrc tree. I have no idea if pkgsrc is
> involved in this message or not.

This message is not an error message in itself, but rather means quite
literally what it says: the error message directly before this has
been issued several times. syslogd is clever enough not to flood the
log with many identical messages, but prints this message instead.

Common messages that are repeated are fifo overflows on the serial
line when using too high speeds, or "carrier lost"-messages on
ethernet devices when no cable is connected, or "nfs server XYZ not
responding" when the server is unreachable.

In most cases it indicates a misconfiguration, e. g. repeated
unsuccessfull attempts to start a program. I recently got 198(!)
repeated messages when switching off the scanner while the scsi bus
was being probed. In situations like these I am quite thankful for a
smart syslogd :)

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Someday, we won't burn your toast
		-- Herb Peyerl