Subject: Re: load: 0.57 cmd: ssh 629 [ttyin] 0.01u 0.01s 0% 1456k
To: Nate Johnston <nmj3e@alumni.virginia.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/19/2001 16:21:01
Nate Johnston wrote:

> When I am in an xterm, or Eterm, and I execute from the shell a process that
> requires input, I can type in the input but the return key causes a status
> line to be displayed.  Here's a sample: in these examples I ssh to a machine
> on my local subnet.  The carriage return is being interpreted as a "status"
> control character (if my exegesis of the stty man page is correct).
>
> I am currently running NetBSD 1.5T on a Sony Vaio Z505LEK.  I have replicated
> this error on dell and compaQ desktops, running NetBSD as far back as 1.4.1,
> although I no longer have those machines available.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help on this perplexing problem.
>
> nate@johnston:~ stty
> speed 38400 baud;
> lflags: echoe echok echoke echoctl pendin
> iflags: -ixany ignpar
> oflags: -oxtabs
> cflags: cs8 -parenb -hupcl
> status
> ^J

There's your problem - carriage-return and line-feed are generally
handled pretty much the same ("stty -all" should list "inlcr", which
means map NL to CR), and you have ^J (newline) set as your status char.
Traditionally, ^T is used for status - have you got something in a
.cshrc, .login or .profile that sets this differently?

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/