Subject: General chat group (was: RE: London pub and NetBSD 'region' lists)
To: Tim Rightnour , David Brownlee <abs@purplei.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/17/2001 21:05:40
Err, I thought that netbsd-users _was_ a general chat mailing list.  (I
know that shortly after I started reading the lists, someone proposed that
netbsd-users be redefined as such, since it otherwise overlapped with
netbsd-help.  I thought that the suggestion carried and Someone With
Access formally changed the list's definition.)

I am of mixed feelings about creating regional lists.  If the number of
announcements stays small, it's not too bad to use an international NetBSD
list for them.  And it's easier to make new NetBSD users aware if there
happens to be a group meeting in their area.  (It also would help a new
group attract members in an area.)  On the other hand, should there grow
to be a large number of groups making monthly announcements of their
meetings...(^&  Also, I think that lurkers are more likely to come out of
the wood and participate on a regional list.

Hm...does anyone reading this list also subscribe to any of the regional
lists that are pointed at from the NetBSD site?  Do they seem to have
worked out well?  Or do they tend to be general/technical discussions (of
wider interest) that get confined to local distributions?  Or are the
regional lists pretty much empty?

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu