Subject: Re: London pub and NetBSD 'region' lists
To: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
From: Justin Heath <justin@bbnow.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/17/2001 19:39:59
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 09:34:40AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:34:40 +0930
> From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
> To: David Brownlee <abs@purplei.com>
> Cc: netbsd-users@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: London pub and NetBSD 'region' lists
>
> On Tuesday, 17 April 2001 at 11:05:34 +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> > 	What do people think of the idea of having 'region' (country or
> > 	state) related lists for people to arrange meeting up with other
> > 	NetBSD people at various pub/bar/pizza/etc places?
> >
> > 	They would be obvious places for any interested usergroup to post
> > 	details of open meets etc.
> >
> > 	Maybe not hosted @netbsd.org, but certainly mentioned there.
> >
> > 	On a related note... anyone near London interested in a pint
> > 	at the William Morris in Hammersmith this evening? :)
>
> In the FreeBSD project, we'd say "start a user group".  We'd also say
> "and make it BSD, not <my>BSD".  Lots of people are doing just what
> you do; the one that springs to mind is BUGS (BSD User Group of
> Sydney).  I'd certainly think you'd find critical mass in London.
>
> Greg
> --
> Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers

The thing is (in my example anyway) there is a UUG in Dallas. However it is usually headed by a 'speaker' from some company pushing a product first. Then the meeting breaks into different groups (e.g Linux, FreeBSD etc) of which NetBSD is not a part. Personally I get tired of hearng about FreeBSd and Linux and there are time I would like to talk about NetBSD not OpenBSD or whatever. On top of that its also nice to meet casually, like at a pub, have a beer and just bullshit rather than something organized (and no beer). This bring up the point that if any of you guys are in Dallas give me a shout maybe we can work something out.