Subject: RE: ident
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Gwilym Evans <meatgroup@iprimus.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/16/2001 22:21:20
> > > can ipfilters/ipnat be used to properly handle ident requests for irc
> > > sessions?
> > I dont know if it is supported... if it is, it is probably very
> tricky...
>
> I don't think it is supported, but writing a proxy-identd (as a userland
> daemon), running on the NAT machine, should be simple.
>
> Note that you can get all the info you need manually by running "ipnat -l"
> on the NAT machine. Then just pick the proper line from that
> output (matching
> the requested connection), send a modified query to the identd on the
> machine behind the NAT and forward it's answer to the requestor.
>
> Should be less than 100 lines of C code.
>
> I won't comment on the usefullness of such a daemon and identd in general.
>

> Martin
>
> P.S.: of course this is not suggesting to actually run "ipnat -l" from the
> daemon.

But unfortunately I have neither the time nor programming skill to put such
a thing together :( I know the C language but don't know enough about
bsd/nix to do the above.

For now I'm happy with forwarding 113 through to the one machine that uses
irc. If anyone takes this idea to the next step, I'd be grateful if you let
me know.

Thanks,

-Gwilym