Subject: more passwd stuff
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Emre Yildirim <emre.yildirim@us.army.mil>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/12/2001 11:17:32
Hello folks,

I'm still trying to back this linux server up to my netbsd box.  I
already tarred up the home directories and everything else.  Except
the password file.  Now, I'm aware that netbsd and linux use
different formats, but my main problem seems to be that the linux box
uses DES and my netbsd box uses MD5 for passwords.  I already have 20
or so accounts on my netbsd box.  Is there a way I can add the ~500
or so user accounts/passwd entries from my linux box to the netbsd
passwd file?  How can I convert them to MD5?  Or can I just change
the cipher in passwd.conf on my netbsd box to DES...and will that
ruin the old accounts on the netbsd passwd file that were added with
MD5?

I really need to get this done soon, so any help is much appreciated.

(PS does anyone have a script/application that will convert linux
passwd files to netbsd format?)