Subject: Re: Failover (was: what i see ;) port-s390)
To: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/10/2001 06:26:13
On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Rick Kelly wrote:

> Greg Lehey said:
>
> >IIRC Stratus had 4 processors per CPU, organized as two pairs which
> >kept checks on each other.  If they disagreed, they both died and let
> >the other pair get on with it.
>
> And if you had the right support contract, the system would dial up
> Stratus and order a new part. You would receive it by next day air.

Which we offen did ;-)  Especially for the early Contiuum series.  Ahh,
the Stratus CAC.  Solve all your problems in a heartbeat [cough].

> I used to support five of these system. Every now and then I'd come
> into work and find a package from Stratus sitting on my chair.

Then you have to throw the board in and do a configure_devices during the
production day ;-)  Ahh, the memories!

> When I worked for Progress Software, we had to crash systems to test
> the Progress database recovery tools. Tandem systems are very hard to
> crash.

Funny that - all the Tandem systems I've worked with have been moderately
flakey; I've personally had better luck with the Stratus boxes, but that
may be an isolated case.

-
Jon
 - The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer.
   "I wonder how many people actually read my .sig?"