Subject: Cool feature: FTP rate throttling
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/10/2001 09:31:22
I'm not sure how many people use this feature in our FTP client in
this day and age of high-speed Internet access, but for those of us
like myself, stuck in areas that get neither cable broadband nor DSL
and thus required to use a modem, FTP rate throttling is super-useful.
Using "rate all 2048", I can limit FTP throughput to 2KB/s on my 33.6K
baud rate connection and thus preserve enough bandwidth to surf the
web using links or ssh to various places and have a decent interactive
experience while grabbing large files off an FTP server.

Just felt like saying NetBSD was cool and pointing out this feature to
others that may not already have heard about it.

	Cheers,

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/