Subject: Re: what i see ;) port-s390
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/09/2001 08:31:40
On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Kevin P. Neal wrote:

[snip]

> That's better than just hot-swappable, and I wonder if any other
> system can do the same trick. Can any other processor (Alpha, MIPS,
> SPARC) failover to another CPU nondisruptively?

Stratus machines did have CPU failover, however, I don't think it was to
that extent.  IIRC they had 4 processors for each logical, and the 4 would
constantly check results with each other (via hardware... not
software...).  When one goes out of service due to differences, the other
3 continue on as if nothing happened.  Kind of neat; memory was the same
way IIRC.  Unfortunately, VOS (its os) never realy caught on (too much
typing ;-) and FTX (later moved over to HP-UX) had it's own set of
problems...

-
Jon
 - The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer.
   "I wonder how many people actually read my .sig?"