Subject: Re: Duplex printing...
To: Thorbjorn Jemander , None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/08/2001 08:02:38
I'm not familiar with Solaris, but from the context and the general
meaning, I assume that ``-Cduplex'' has to do with printing on both sides
of a page.  Does this make use of special printer support, or does it
merely split the document into even/odd pages in two passes so that you
can print the odd pages, then feed the sheets back through facing the
other way around to print the even pages?

I don't think that there's any direct support for either of these.  But
the latter can be done by using psutils (...pkgsrc/print/psutils).  In
particular, psselect (I _think_ that it came from the psutils
package) lets you select even/odd pages.

Using this, I have, for example, a ps, pse, and pso set of printer entries
in my printcap.  Each one is set up to receive PostScript files.  The
first (ps) prints every page; pse prints only even pages; pso prints only
odd pages.  So, I can print first with one, then feed the pages back in
and print again to get facing pages.  (For this, you can use either if
(Input Filter) or of (Output Filter) in the printcap entry.)

(I don't use it much because paper is slightly prone to jamming my printer
when run through the printer a second time.)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu